The Frequency Cap determines how many times a user can receive this message per specified time period. For some campaigns you may opt to have it trigger every time a user triggers the campaign event, while others may be limited to a single message.
Frequency caps can be added to specific campaigns, or can be applied globally across all campaigns. You can exclude specific campaigns from the global frequency cap, so all targeted users receive those campaigns, regardless of the number of messages received.
This article contains the following topics:
Capping individual campaigns
Frequency caps are added to individual campaigns via the campaign builder.
To add a frequency cap to a specific campaign
- In the campaign builder, click to expand the Add campaign frequency cap section:
- Select an option:
- Send every time the trigger event happens (default), if you do not want to set a cap.
- Send this message to each other no more than X times to set the cap. Use the drop down menus to select the number of times the campaign should be triggered, in what time period.
For information on allowing unsubscribes, see Allowing users to unsubscribe from campaigns.
Capping all campaigns
Global frequency caps are added via the Frequency cap page.
To create a global frequency cap
- In Outbound, click the Settings icon () in the top toolbar.
- In the left-side navigation, click Message Settings > Frequency cap to open the Frequency cap page:
- In the Frequency cap section, select an option:
- Users receive every message (default), if you do not want to set a cap.
- A user receives at most X messages to set the cap. Use the drop down menus to select the maximum number of times a user can receive a campaign, in what time period.
To exclude a campaign from a frequency cap
- In the Excluded Campaigns section for the Frequency cap page, use the dropdown menu to select the campaign you want to exclude.
- Click Add. The campaign is added to the exclusion list.
- If needed, you can remove a campaign from the exclusion list by clicking the trash can icon.